Ashes 2015: England lead series after Ian Bell seals Edgbaston win
| Third Test, day three, Edgbaston: |
| Australia 136 & 265: Warner 77, Nevill 59, Finn 6-79 |
| England 281 & 124-2: Bell 65 not out, Root 38 not out |
| England won by eight wickets; lead series 2-1 |
England completed a crushing eight-wicket victory over Australia to take a 2-1 Ashes series lead at a jubilant Edgbaston.
Australia's last three wickets had added 97 runs as they were bowled out for 265 to leave England a testing target, with Steven Finn completing a Test-best 6-79.
But the hosts overcame the early loss of captain Alastair Cook for seven to clinch the victory that moves them within one win of claiming back the Ashes urn.
Misery to mastery
Michael Clarke dropped Ian Bell with the Warwickshire batsman on 20
And for Bell, half-centuries in both innings on his home ground were a fitting retort to those who were calling for him to dropped after a run of low scores.
The Warwickshire batsman had cracked five boundaries from his first eight balls from Mitchell Starc when he offered his only chance.
An edge off the left-arm bowler flew towards second slip where beleaguered Australia captain Michael Clarke dropped a routine catch.
Starc had earlier bowled Cook with a fast, full away-swinger before Josh Hazlewood upped the pressure on out-of-form opener Adam Lyth by pinning him lbw for 12.
Songs and cheers
From 51-2, Root dispelled fears of a wobble by cutting his first ball for four and England hardly looked back.As the tea interval was delayed, Australia resorted to bowling wide outside off stump in an attempt to induce errors by preying on England's impatience.
But with a sell-out crowd of 24,500 singing songs and cheering every run, Bell and Root calmly closed in on the target.
After Bell's single had levelled the scores and brought in the field, Root flicked the winning runs through a gap on the leg side before leaping into the air with fists clenched and engulfing his batting partner in a bear hug.
Australia's tail wags
Australia bowler Mitchell Starc hit his fifth Test fifty to give the tourists some hope
Nevill should have been out for 53, brilliantly caught down the leg side by Jos Buttler, but England's lack of remaining reviews cost Stuart Broad what would have been his 300th Test wicket.
Nevill's next swish at a leg-side delivery brought his downfall as a thin edge was expertly taken by Buttler to give Finn, who enjoyed a fine match on his return to the side after a two-year absence, his sixth wicket.
The ninth wicket added another 28 runs as Starc, with some lusty cover drives, passed fifty for the fifth time in Tests. But a superb diving slip catch by Root accounted for Hazlewood and gave Ben Stokes his first wicket since the first innings of the Cardiff Test.
Nathan Lyon helped add 20 for the final wicket before Starc chipped Moeen Ali to extra cover to bring roars of relief from England's supporters.
From then on, the volume was rarely below maximum as the crowd cheered England to a glorious Ashes win.
What they said
England captain Alastair Cook: "The Edgbaston atmosphere is unique and it was as loud as I can ever remember it. The way Jimmy [Anderson] bowled in that first innings was fantastic, but I don't think it was a 140-all out pitch."It's been an amazing comeback from Steven Finn. Standing there at slip, you thought he was going to get a nick every ball. The character he has shown to come back after a lot of hard work is incredible."
Australia captain Michael Clarke: "It's very hard to explain. Credit has to go to England, they bowled well on day one and we didn't bat anywhere near we'd have liked. I still would have batted first, you can see the wicket has deteriorated.
"It swung and seamed throughout the whole game. We probably had the best batting conditions, we just didn't execute with bat and ball."
England bowler Steven Finn: "This week been fantastic and I'm thoroughly enjoying Test cricket again. There were a few nerves in the first few balls and you question yourself but after that it was focusing on getting people out.
"It is as nice a feeling as I have ever had taking a wicket [dismissing Steve Smith in the first innings]. It is the most I have ever celebrated a wicket. I did doubt at times if I'd play again but knew I could be good enough again. To be stood here now, there is no better feeling."
Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott on BBC Test Match Special |
|---|
| "It was amazing how England came back [from defeat at
Lord's]. Michael Clarke must go away with his team and worry that if the
pitch at Trent Bridge is one that moves they will struggle again. |
| "They have struggled against the moving ball. They have been pathetic. They didn't graft and didn't work. If they play like they did here again, the Ashes are gone. They have to adapt to the situation." |
Australia captain Michael Clarke on Test Match Special:
"It is really hard to be honest. This is the way it has gone. This is
similar to Cardiff. It is as simple as we need to make more runs as a
unit and execute better with the ball. I was happy with the way the tail
wagged this morning and fought hard. That is a good sign and something
we need to do more of.
"The spirit is good. I couldn't be happier with the preparation. It is not as simple as saying one man is to blame. We need to try our best and that is what this team is doing. I need to turn my form around because at the moment we are playing with 10 players.
The number four has not turned up. I need to find a way to score runs. I will prepare hard and keep the faith it will happen in the middle.
"We don't wish injury on anyone but Jimmy Anderson missing could be a bit like 2005 when we lost Glenn McGrath. But I'm sure whoever comes in will do well for England."
"The spirit is good. I couldn't be happier with the preparation. It is not as simple as saying one man is to blame. We need to try our best and that is what this team is doing. I need to turn my form around because at the moment we are playing with 10 players.
The number four has not turned up. I need to find a way to score runs. I will prepare hard and keep the faith it will happen in the middle.
"We don't wish injury on anyone but Jimmy Anderson missing could be a bit like 2005 when we lost Glenn McGrath. But I'm sure whoever comes in will do well for England."
More from man of the match Steven Finn: "When I dreamt about it before the game I didn't quite think it would go as well as it has. I was just happy to be playing.
"I felt in good rhythm. You have to trust the work you've done. An early wicket settled the nerves.
"Yesterday was probably as good as I've bowled in Test match cricket, thankfully the ball came out in nice areas."
"I felt in good rhythm. You have to trust the work you've done. An early wicket settled the nerves.
"Yesterday was probably as good as I've bowled in Test match cricket, thankfully the ball came out in nice areas."
More from Steven Finn: "I try to appreciate every moment that I wear the England cap and shirt. The crowd was incredible, so thank you to them.
"The dark times teach you to enjoy the highs a little bit more. To be here at the moment and help win a Test match for England is a great feeling.
"I feel good at the moment with the ball in my hand, but who knows what might happen in the future? I'm happy and glad to be playing for England again."
"The dark times teach you to enjoy the highs a little bit more. To be here at the moment and help win a Test match for England is a great feeling.
"I feel good at the moment with the ball in my hand, but who knows what might happen in the future? I'm happy and glad to be playing for England again."
England bowler James Anderson, who will miss the next Test through injury, on Sky Sports: "I'm hoping to be fit for The Oval. It is not an intercostal injury. That is not the word I heard when they told me what it was. Broady, who has experience of these kind of injuries, told me not to bowl another ball. I set off but pulled up and didn't want to risk it.
"I've been fortunate with injuries so you just have to take it on the chin. The medical team were happy with me and didn't think it was too serious.
"Finny was fantastic. He has been bowling well in the nets and looked like he had never been away. Credit to him because he has worked so hard."
Shaw Post believes that the England Cricket will be feeling very elated after they've managed to bounce back from their horrible defeat at Lords in the Second Test to beat Australia at Edgbaston by eight wickets to go 2-1 up in the series with two games to go. It's been great to see Steven Finn come straight back to form by taking eight wickets in this test match. Hopefully he can keep it up for the Trent Bridge Test match where James Anderson won't be available because of his injury.
Just as great was to see Ian Bell come back to form on his home ground batting a Number Three by hitting a convincing 53 runs in England's first innings and then a match winning 65 runs in the second innings
A lot of credit also has to go to James Anderson who took amazing 6/47 in Australia's first innings to help skittle them for just 136 runs. After that England played a brand of attacking and risk taking cricket to get bowled out for 281. Bell's 53 and Root's 63 proved key as did Moen Ali's 59 and Stuart Broad 31.
England then peppered the Australian's once again with Steven Finn the pick of the bowlers in this innings as he ended the second innings of Australia with 6 for just 79 runs.
The only change that we would make for the next Test Match would be to replace James Anderson with Mark Wood.
The Australian Team will be wondering what went wrong in this Test Match as they were never in control of this match at all. They couldn't seem to negotiate the pitch or bounce and ultimately paid the price for some pathetic shot choices.
The Australian Selectors will probably have to look at some changes as Adam Voges looks out of his depth and maybe Michael Clarke should move lower down the order to try and find some form.



No comments:
Post a Comment